Dienstag, 12. Januar 2010

First day of Orientation

music: none
mood: somewhere between excited and tired

(about the music/mood thing: I believe I stole the idea from Kate's life journal. I certainly give you credit for that because I think it is cool! If you feel offended just tell me and I will stop!)

Moi! (trying to use different Finnish greetings)
Today was like "dark, info, dark". We had the first day of Orientation Week, but I don't feel much orientated now. It was just waaaay too much information to take in properly and I feel like all the important things like getting my student card, computer passwords, signing in for classes etc. will happen only tomorrow or on thursday. Good thing was, I got to meet the other students in UEF, which is my university. The other "facebook guys" I basically spent the weekend with are on the University of Apllied Sciences or "Savonia".
The other girl from Giessen I actually met in the hallway this morning. I wanted to meet with another "facebook girl" who lives in my building and she brought her along so we are indeed neighbours.
The other people are, let's see... Austrian, German, Russian, Italian, Czech, French, Korean, English, Netherlands (don't know how to call the Nationality), Polish, American,... but there are so many people speaking German, that goes completely against my rule: learn English, don't speak German around here! Can't help it, though... Today it already became quite clear that there is grouping amongst nationalities. Too bad! But most of the guys are nice, quite many live in my housing area so I guess it will be cool.
We went to the student restaurant today. I think it is nicer than in Giessen because there is free salad buffet, bread and one free drink included, then you get to pick between three main dishes and it is only 2€ with student discount. I met the "facebook guys" for lunch which was great. i hope we can keep up contact with time.
Now I get to relax a little. Jenna wrote during the day and wants to meet me tonight. Her proposal was ice swimming but I rather stay on top of the ice, at best wearing my skates. So this is what we are doing later. Afterwards I guess I will go to the pub with some of the Italian Erasmus guys. Busy day...
Talk to you guys if I survive until tomorrow (planned tomorrow afternoon: promising walking tour to city center!)

P.S.
music: linkin park - numb
mood: comfortable
Still alive... just came back from ice skating with Jenna. It went fairly well, with just some stumbling and only once falling down. Now my buttocks feel numb, but I don't know if this is due to the falling or due to the cold. One question, please help me out here by leaving a comment if you are either native speaker OR English teacher OR smarter than I am: Is it politically correct to say "buttocks"? Or is it just old-fashioned? I wanted to skip my Southpark expressions and found the word in the Outlander Saga which I'm currently reading, but this story takes place in the 18th century... so what would be the right term to say "My buttocks feel numb" without being rude?
I did seven rounds on the track, I don't know exactly how long it is but Jenna estimates 1 km, so I am kinda pleased with myself. Although I'm really tired now, but still in the mood for a beer. :-)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen