mood: feeling weird (too much computer, should stop soon!)
I booked a flight from Frankfurt to Helsinki and then to Kuopio and back because it is way cheaper than a one- way ticket. Thought about going with a letonian airline but don't trust them, also heard that Finnair is the most secure airline in the world. I really didn't want my family to accompany me to the airport because I hate crying good-bye scenes (had this before!) but my mom had switched shifts at work so she would be able to go. So we stuffed us together with my suitcase, which took up all the room in our trunk and my 11kg-hand-baggage-bag in the small Ford Fiesta and went for Frankfurt airport. I learned today that a purse is suggested to be part of a woman's body, that's why it's allowed to be taken along with the other hand-baggage. We were really concerned because weather report said that it would start snowing really hard this weekend throughout middle Europe, but luckily it started only saturday, having more than 150 flights from Frankfurt cancelled. Daddy joke: Finnish aeroplanes go with snow chains on their wings. I guess around here nobody would be scared by a little or a little more snow. At the airport, my stomach knotted (love the expression!) with excitment, but I made it through the good-bye scene without crying. I was a little late at the security check, though, which made me totally nervous. Learned that a laptop should always be on top of the bag because electronic devices have to go through the scanner alone. So I had to unpack my whole bag to reach it which made me even more nervous. Almost lost my watch while packing everything again. The plane had some hour of delay and I waited along with many Finnish people (mostly blonde and doing crossword puzzles). At the gate, I overheard I funny conversation of the employees there: "What- everybody is here, who are these people? They don't even have their boarding pass yet, they are lucky that we have delay!" - "What are they even thinking, arriving at the airport 10 minutes before takeoff? We're not in Rovaniemi here!"(Footnote: Rovaniemi has some kind of funpark and is supposed to be the place were Santa Claus lives) The plane was quite small with about 100 seats, I had two places for me (which really helped storing my big bag) right next to the wing so I could watch the de-icing and the movement of all kinds of flaps. I fell asleep almost at once but only for some quarter of an hour. When I woke there was a chicken sandwich lying next to me. I suppose they didn't bother to ask "Ham or cheese"... Stole the plastic fork and knife as I was quite sure there wouldn't be anything like this in my flat. At least, I woke in time for coffee. Somehow, the stewards tried to talk to me in Finnish which really didn't work out too well... There were a lot of clouds so I couldn't see too much but as we approached Helsinki, the sun began to sink and the whole land covered in snow began to glow red... awesome! My first impression of Finland from the air, which I veryfied later, is that there is a lot of room for 5 million people. The towns are really spread out, houses are far apart, there are always small parts of forest and lakes in between even what is supposed to be town area. Or rather the town is embedded in nature. Nice encounter: I could watch a dog running through the garden to greet its owner from above. Planes = big brother? It certainly felt like spying upon something intimate... Helsinki airport is nice, pretty much like every other airport. I went through the duty-free-shop and found out that Finlandia Wodka costs more than 20 € without tax. I think I will stick to Glögli to get drunk or have my parents send me some... Fazers Wodka Filled are 6.30 € but right now I am kind of mad at myself for not taking them because here I didn't find them anywhere so far. I guess I have to go to some alko store (was too proud to give in to my lower instincts like drinking to go there just yet) to look.
Things I saw at Helsinki airport:
Things I saw at Helsinki airport:
- Moomins store - watched them on TV when I was a child, guess they are pretty popular here
- Reindeer skin
- Asian people
- Cosmopolitan in Finnish
- Business lounge
- Electronic devices store - Nokia is not the cheapest mobile phone you can get around here!
- Some small kind of shower thing next to the toilet- wonder what that is for (we have it in our bathroom, too!)
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen