music: death cab for cutie - meet me on the equinox
mood: lugubrious (I'm starting to look for new words to improve my vocabulary and as I have now officially started the depressive phase of my stay I think this word goes great with today)
Also, there have been a few events over the last days that make me feel lugubrious (I hope I get the sense of the word right, correct me if I don't!).
On friday evening, the American girl who lives in Puijonlaakso (crappy part of town, the housing area doesn't have too many other exchange students, also there are no busses but there is the crappy tower) invited us for an international dinner where everybody ought to bring some national food from their home country. I wanted to make a black forest cake. On thursday evening, after feeling rather ill the whole day, I went to Lidl to get some national German devices for this cake. For that, I skipped the Kalpa match (must have been great!) and travelled a long way by bus.
In Kuopio, you cannot buy cherries. Neither in Lidl nor in Prisma, which is about the biggest supermarket I know. Nowhere to be found. This fact, along with the tiresome waiting at bus stops and freezing temperatures, officially initialized my depressive phase. I know that it is stupid but the fact that I couldn't get cherries totally brought me down. Yesterday, I girl that has been here last term told me that in autumn, some other German students had the same problem and the Finnish teacher suggested that they might find cherries in Helsinki....
After this, I was so pissed that I didn't do anything this evening. For the international dinner I made puff pastry rolls with ham and salmon and Kirsten made a cake. Nothing too special, but worked out great as our food was gone within 5 minutes.
The party was sort of weird. The flat was crowded, even more than what we are used to, Romanda was in a total wuzz and didn't manage to do anything apart from drinking. Her Spanish flatmate had some party of her own in her room, they just came out to get food from the buffet and didn't share anything of their stuff except for noisy company and squeezing past us every couple of minutes to go outside for a cigarette.
The atmosphere was a little agressive or something, I don't quite know how to explain that. It was not relaxed and funny, so to say. At 10.15, Romanda announced that it was time to go to Onnela or whatever because some neighbours had been complaining. Of course, everybody wanted to collect empty plates and stuff, so this took a while. When the first people stepped into the hallway, they ran into some policemen. These looked terrifying (also terrific, blonde and tall ^^) and shouted: "The party is over! Who live here?" and kicked everybody out. They were really mean and gave Romanda some sort of lecture about how not to have a party.
Let's recall the facts:
We were having a dinner party. Without any music. Only people talking.
It was friday night at 10.30.
It was a student housing area.
No comments for that.
On our way back and with a couple of leftover beers in my flat, we discussed the events genuinely. Finland is a strange country indeed. Of course, Romanda was really pissed, we kept on discussing also on Facebook.
Today, I went ice skating with Julia, which was fun. I keep on falling down once every turn, but today I had my stuffed ski trousers so it didn't hurt. Skating is becoming quite a popular sport, we met also other guys from our place. It was only -12°C, but we had really mean wind on the skating track.
After that, I didn't really manage to do anything. I was on Skype for a while. The other guys went to city center. I wanted to go and join them later, but I got so caught up with talking to everybody, taking a shower and finally fulfilling my task of cleaning the bathroom that by the time I called them, they were back home. Giovanni told me that the rest wanted to go to Onnela, but we agreed that spending money on the entrance fee and pay about 3 times more for a drink than during the week would be rather pointless. I stayed in and watched a movie with Kirsten and Julia. After that, we discussed medical issues and dentists.
I figured that on monday, I should finally start working on some school stuff.
So, party is over!
mood: lugubrious (I'm starting to look for new words to improve my vocabulary and as I have now officially started the depressive phase of my stay I think this word goes great with today)
Also, there have been a few events over the last days that make me feel lugubrious (I hope I get the sense of the word right, correct me if I don't!).
On friday evening, the American girl who lives in Puijonlaakso (crappy part of town, the housing area doesn't have too many other exchange students, also there are no busses but there is the crappy tower) invited us for an international dinner where everybody ought to bring some national food from their home country. I wanted to make a black forest cake. On thursday evening, after feeling rather ill the whole day, I went to Lidl to get some national German devices for this cake. For that, I skipped the Kalpa match (must have been great!) and travelled a long way by bus.
In Kuopio, you cannot buy cherries. Neither in Lidl nor in Prisma, which is about the biggest supermarket I know. Nowhere to be found. This fact, along with the tiresome waiting at bus stops and freezing temperatures, officially initialized my depressive phase. I know that it is stupid but the fact that I couldn't get cherries totally brought me down. Yesterday, I girl that has been here last term told me that in autumn, some other German students had the same problem and the Finnish teacher suggested that they might find cherries in Helsinki....
After this, I was so pissed that I didn't do anything this evening. For the international dinner I made puff pastry rolls with ham and salmon and Kirsten made a cake. Nothing too special, but worked out great as our food was gone within 5 minutes.
The party was sort of weird. The flat was crowded, even more than what we are used to, Romanda was in a total wuzz and didn't manage to do anything apart from drinking. Her Spanish flatmate had some party of her own in her room, they just came out to get food from the buffet and didn't share anything of their stuff except for noisy company and squeezing past us every couple of minutes to go outside for a cigarette.
The atmosphere was a little agressive or something, I don't quite know how to explain that. It was not relaxed and funny, so to say. At 10.15, Romanda announced that it was time to go to Onnela or whatever because some neighbours had been complaining. Of course, everybody wanted to collect empty plates and stuff, so this took a while. When the first people stepped into the hallway, they ran into some policemen. These looked terrifying (also terrific, blonde and tall ^^) and shouted: "The party is over! Who live here?" and kicked everybody out. They were really mean and gave Romanda some sort of lecture about how not to have a party.
Let's recall the facts:
We were having a dinner party. Without any music. Only people talking.
It was friday night at 10.30.
It was a student housing area.
No comments for that.
On our way back and with a couple of leftover beers in my flat, we discussed the events genuinely. Finland is a strange country indeed. Of course, Romanda was really pissed, we kept on discussing also on Facebook.
Today, I went ice skating with Julia, which was fun. I keep on falling down once every turn, but today I had my stuffed ski trousers so it didn't hurt. Skating is becoming quite a popular sport, we met also other guys from our place. It was only -12°C, but we had really mean wind on the skating track.
After that, I didn't really manage to do anything. I was on Skype for a while. The other guys went to city center. I wanted to go and join them later, but I got so caught up with talking to everybody, taking a shower and finally fulfilling my task of cleaning the bathroom that by the time I called them, they were back home. Giovanni told me that the rest wanted to go to Onnela, but we agreed that spending money on the entrance fee and pay about 3 times more for a drink than during the week would be rather pointless. I stayed in and watched a movie with Kirsten and Julia. After that, we discussed medical issues and dentists.
I figured that on monday, I should finally start working on some school stuff.
So, party is over!
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen