People were asking me this question over the last year, practically since I applied in December 2008 (yes, it takes that long!)
As a matter of fact, I don't have a clue.
I wanted to go abroad for... ???? since ever. When I was in school I went to the US but I was too much of a coward to go for a whole year. I thought about doing au-pair but I don't really like to look after kids. Then there is the question of money... I don't have any.
So time passed and at some point during my studies I realized I was getting old ;-) and I asked myself: when if not now?
So I decided to apply to this amazing EU- program Erasmus (a little bit inspired by the movie "Auberge Espagnole") and pick an "Erasmus partner university" which wasn't as easy as I thought. I didn't want to study in French, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian or anything like that but not German, either (what's the use of going abroad if I have to speak German all the time?). English is what it should be! And again, I got into money-trouble. The Erasmus funds gives me about 120 € per month which is not very much to live on... I checked England and the costs of living there are waaaaay above my limit! So there was not that much left on the list.
In fact, Finland wasn't even on the list! I study Environmental Management which is in the same university department as agricultural sciences and nutritional sciences. My departmental Erasmus coordinator has this list and Kuopio only had a cross for nutritional sciences so I already had this possibility crossed out when I accidentally read that Environmental Sciences is indeed offered there! So I asked my coordinator and she said "No idea, but if they have it then go on and apply!" That's how I ended up here... some weird idea of five minutes.
Top 5 reasons for Finland:
1. Skandinavia is cool
(remind me to find out how Finland is Skandinavia but not a Skandinavian country, I think it has something to do with the Vikings!)
2. Metal music
3. Ice skating and Ice hockey
4. trip to Lapland and St. Petersburg
5. Aurora borealis
more reasons:
- blond, tall guys
- Wodka Finlandia (too expensive, though)
- Fazers wodka filled chocolates
- university language is English
- good education system
- more expensive than Germany but cheaper than UK
to be continued or revised
As a matter of fact, I don't have a clue.
I wanted to go abroad for... ???? since ever. When I was in school I went to the US but I was too much of a coward to go for a whole year. I thought about doing au-pair but I don't really like to look after kids. Then there is the question of money... I don't have any.
So time passed and at some point during my studies I realized I was getting old ;-) and I asked myself: when if not now?
So I decided to apply to this amazing EU- program Erasmus (a little bit inspired by the movie "Auberge Espagnole") and pick an "Erasmus partner university" which wasn't as easy as I thought. I didn't want to study in French, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian or anything like that but not German, either (what's the use of going abroad if I have to speak German all the time?). English is what it should be! And again, I got into money-trouble. The Erasmus funds gives me about 120 € per month which is not very much to live on... I checked England and the costs of living there are waaaaay above my limit! So there was not that much left on the list.
In fact, Finland wasn't even on the list! I study Environmental Management which is in the same university department as agricultural sciences and nutritional sciences. My departmental Erasmus coordinator has this list and Kuopio only had a cross for nutritional sciences so I already had this possibility crossed out when I accidentally read that Environmental Sciences is indeed offered there! So I asked my coordinator and she said "No idea, but if they have it then go on and apply!" That's how I ended up here... some weird idea of five minutes.
Top 5 reasons for Finland:
1. Skandinavia is cool
(remind me to find out how Finland is Skandinavia but not a Skandinavian country, I think it has something to do with the Vikings!)
2. Metal music
3. Ice skating and Ice hockey
4. trip to Lapland and St. Petersburg
5. Aurora borealis
more reasons:
- blond, tall guys
- Wodka Finlandia (too expensive, though)
- Fazers wodka filled chocolates
- university language is English
- good education system
- more expensive than Germany but cheaper than UK
to be continued or revised
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen